What is Psoriatic Arthritis?
There are up to 100 types of arthritis. Psoriatic Arthritis is one type of inflammatory arthritis.
Who gets psoriatic Arthritis?
- Psoriatic Arthritis is often associated with scaly skin condition called psoriasis.
- This disease affects males and females equally and seen in at any age.
What is reason for psoriatic arthritis?
Immune system dysfunction leads to psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis.
What are the symptoms of psoriatic arthritis?
Psoriatic arthritis can affect any joint of the body like:
- Small joints of hand and feet
- Neck and spine joints
- Joints near the nails.
- Large joints only
- Severe deforming arthritis
Most of the patients get skin disease either before or with arthritis.
How is psoriatic arthritis diagnosed?
- Psoriatic arthritis is diagnosed based on presence of classical symptoms and absence of features to suggest any other type of arthritis.
- There is no single test which can confirm diagnosis of psoriatic arthritis.
Which are investigations needed in psoriatic arthritis?
- Compete blood count; Liver function test and renal functions test are done before starting therapy.
- Affected joints are studied by x-ray if needed.
How is psoriatic arthritis treated?
- Non steroidal Anti Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDS: DICLOFENAC, NAPROXEN, ETORICOXIB, ACECLOFENAC etc.):
- NSAIDs are helpful in reducing pain and swelling of joints. Patient’s age, weight etc is considered while using these drugs.
STEROID: Prednisolone like steroids are used in severe disease for short period. If only single joint is involved steroid can be injected in that joint.
Disease modifying anti rheumatic drugs (DMARDS): Methotrexate, Leflunomide, Sulphasalazine etc are these types of drugs. They are used to control disease and prevent further damage to joints.
BIOLOGICS: Etanercept, lnfliximab, Adalimumab etc are new drugs that are used in controlling difficult disease where first line drugs fails. They control the disease and prevent joint damage.
How to find us
Fill up the form and ask your queries
STAR Rheumatology Clinics
404-405, Aarya Epoch, Above Brand Factory &
Opp. Radiance Hospital, Nr. Vijay Cross Roads, Drive-in Road, Navrangpura,
Ahmedabad -380 009
85111 09300 85111 63300